Monday, February 23, 2015

My (Mis)fortune


I have a story
so hard for me to tell,
about the time I could have lost everything,
but even worse, myself.
I'm not proud of this time
but I’ve learned from my mistake.
I now sleep happy
And smile when I wake.

My day started out great
but eventually fell.
That was the day
I walked into Hell.
My life changed so quickly
with one tiny little drug.
However, it seemed harmless
but its smile, so smug.
I ran into this guy,
and he told me to sit.
He gave me a joint,
and I took a few hits.
It suddenly controlled me
and told me what to do.
I knew my life would change when
It screamed, “I’ll destroy you!”
It took over my life,
but worse, I let it.
I lost my sanity
after that first hit.
I wanted to quit
and let my body heal,
but I went back to see him
and he sold me a deal.
It definitely got worse -
dirty needles and all.
But he came back again;
Who else could I call?
On the way to the nurse,
the bright lights were blinding.
I passed out at the wheel
and my car was still winding.
Eight people got hurt
but not my baby in the back.
If I kept this going,
I could never get him back.
So I cleaned myself up.
It really wasn’t easy.
I'm all sober now,
and been keeping busy.
I did this for me,
and I'm glad I succeeded.
I stepped up and
got the help that I needed.
I was once screwed up
but I'm all better now.
What fortune did this
and please tell me how.
This was my doing.
I set myself free.
And now I realize…
my fortune is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment