Monday, February 23, 2015

My Childhood Came From A Garage Sale

My childhood
came from a garage sale –
cheap memories
for a dollar.
A little doll with
a little pink dress,
a baby with a baby
with a drawn on face
blond hair
and flimsy appendages
and bandages.
This was a perfect doll for a little girl,
like two peas in a pod
two babies in a car seat,
two toddlers in a plane.

Present day,
as inevitable age crept up,
my best friend and I still hand in hand.
Best friends till the end –
Through all the bad grades
and bad boys
breakups and separations,
she never left my side.
Even when her face faded,
And her limbs went loose,
And her cotton stuffing pushed out of her skin,
she never lost that comforting smell of
purity and innocence
that made me appreciate our good times.
She was always there to hear me speak
absorb my tears,
soothe my pains,
and chase away my bad dreams.
My best friend.
My childhood
from a garage sale.
My sweetest memories
for a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment